With the fundamentals of sustainable packaging in mind, following are some areas to consider when implementing changes to your packaging for improved environmental impact.
I believe these tips are applicable to products as well ( Every product is a package)
1. Take a life-cycle approach to package design.
2. Evaluate each component of your package
3. Consider new alternatives for distribution packaging.
4. Look for opportunities to make your packaging reusable—where it makes sense.
5. Consider changes in your product.
6. Whenever possible, design for recyclability.
7. Employ packaging strategies that encourage product consumption.
8. Know where your packaging materials come from.
9. Evaluate your distribution system for space-saving opportunities.
10. Consider materials made from renewable feedstock.